Pastor Appreciation Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
Be creative in expressing pastor appreciation. Let these ideas release your creativity in honoring your pastor.
Use pastor honoring ideas from others to guide you as you develop your own gift giving strategy for that unique pastor's gift.
- Remember that there is more to your appreciation efforts than your pastor being honored. Yes, you as a church want that to take place, yet there is so much more taking place.
- First, there is the witness that your special effort makes to your community that God loves us and offers to us the gift of eternal life.
- Then there is a message to those in your congregation that God still calls people to ministry.
- Another message you want to convey through all you do for your pastor is that the fruit of the spirit described in Galatians 5:22 - 23 is a vital part of your ministry message: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law." (Galatians 5:22-23 WEB)
Express Pastor Appreciation Through Special Words of Encouragement For Your Pastor
- Creatively communicate words of encouragement to your pastor for his or her service to God and the Church. By paying tribute to your pastor in as many ways you can, your pastor will be encouraged and energized to keep going.
- Present your pastor with meaningful pastor appreciation gifts. Pastor gifts can given not only during pastor appreciation month but also throughout the year, making every Sunday Pastor Appreciation Day.
- Actually listen to your pastor's sermons.
- Better yet, apply the truth of your pastor's preaching to specific areas of your life and then say "Thank You Pastor, for helping me spiritually".
- If you nod your head during the sermon, do so because you are in agreement, not falling asleep. (Please avoid shaking your head "NO" should you disagree with something the pastor says during the sermon.)
- Take notes of your pastor's preaching, hopefully of the sermon.
- Say "amen" when the pastor proclaims spiritual truth, because "amen" means "so be it!" and "right on!".
- Say "amen" real loud but be careful because it will shock the pastor and some will think a spiritual revival is beginning.
- If you hear someone say "Praise the Lord", stand up and actually do so! People will be convinced spiritual revival is taking place.
- Give a good report about your pastor, bragging about your pastor in such a way that your relatives and friends just might want to attend church just to meet such a wonderful person.
- Show up at church workdays so that there will at least 2 people present, the pastor and you.
- Suggest your church leaders develop a pastor's book fund for the pastor, providing a generous pastor's book allowance in the church budget.
- Borrow the pastor's car for an hour, gassing it up and washing it. Borrow the pastor's car for 2 hours, having the car detailed. Borrow the pastor's car forever, trading it in for a brand new model (it would be nice to pay the balance owing too).
- Sit near the front of the sanctuary during church worship services. The advantage is that you don't have to arrive as early as usual in order to get a back seat.
- Invite friends and relatives to attend your church services, introducing them to your pastor and better yet, introducing them to Jesus (they will be eternally grateful).
Financial Pastor Appreciation Ideas
- Suggest that your church leaders examine your pastor's salary, telling them that you want to be proud of how your church is so generous in what they pay the pastor.
- Pay for your pastor to attend a church growth conference or ministry related conference of his or her choice.
- Provide funding for your pastor to take continuing education courses in a key area of interest. Ministry related continuing education will enhance your pastor's ministry career.
- Consider continuing education opportunities in other areas of interest your pastor has shared (explore adult continuing education online).
- Suggest your church leadership provide a housing allowance, urging the pastor to purchase a home of their own, giving them opportunity to build equity toward the future. Renting out the church parsonage and directing the rent income toward the pastor's housing allowance means the church keeps a house while helping the pastor purchase a house too.
- Suggest to your church leadership that they provide pastor retirement benefits in your pastor's pay package.
- Suggest your church leaders explore the idea of granting your pastor a pastor's sabbatical.
Explore These Pastor's Family Appreciation Ideas To Prompt Your Pastor Appreciation Gift Giving
- Be aware of the unique needs of the pastor's children, providing financial help for church children's camp or church teen camps as well as youth group retreats.
- When the pastor's children graduate from high school, offer to help his or her children apply for college scholarships or help them get summer jobs to earn income for coming college expenses.
- Surprise you pastor and spouse with a cruise or vacation package to a special destination you've heard them talk about.
- Be grateful when the children and youth of your church, having witnessed loving pastor appreciation given the pastor, consider ministry a worthy career choice and respond to God's call to Christian ministry.